Tuesday, August 26, 2008

$24 Bottle of Milk?

As Linda and I travel this path, we come across some interesting things that we never would have found out had we not had this journey. Linda and I have always planned on breast milk for Cricket. Given the cancer, chemo, surgery and potential radiation treatments Linda will have, she won't be able to breast feed Cricket. Luckily for us, we have had such great people connecting with us. We met someone who went through breast cancer while pregnant. She couldn't use her breast milk either a friend of hers helped manage (screened) donations. She told us how one time she ran out around Christmas time and had to buy some from a milk bank at about $500 cost! "What??", I thought. "$500 for Breast Milk???".

Okay, so now let's digress and imagine what a Breast Milk Bank must be like.... Okay, that's enough. Apparently, it is based on donations from screened donors but then they certify the milk, pasteurize it, and freeze it. This sounds great until you factor in the cost - they said it costs ~$3/ounce! I read something that said a baby can drink ~50 ounces per day (Super Big Gulp size). I can do math: $150/day, $4500/month... you get the idea. Ouch! So, we're looking into a Plan B. A good friend Stephanie has offered to be our Milk Manager and find qualified donors for us. She will use some of the experience from our connection who already went through this and setup donations for us.

Although this experience has been tough at times, it is also simply amazing how some of the connections and friendships are working out.

This crazy plan just may work! Stay tuned....

Rob.

4 comments:

Bill said...

I fully understand the need for breastmilk in a preemie. Right now, we have a bunch of frozen milk just waiting for Mason to start eating, but I know we won't use it all if I keep pumping. If it's okay with you, Bill, Mason, and I want to offer you whatever milk we can provide that Mason doesn't use. Cousin Christi

The Gale Family said...

WOW, but I know that stuff is Platinum, baby. Wish I could help, I would in a heartbeat if I could get the hormones pumping! I know Derek would be on board 'cuz lordy knows how much he loved those nursing boobs!

Plan B sounds good & I'll just bet it's better milk anyway if it's not Pasteurized...

love you Linda!
love you wee baby Cricket!
& love you too Rob!

Winkie

Audrey said...

I'll give you some of mine, if I have any extra! Last time though, I woefully underproduced and couldn't even feed one baby, so don't get your hopes up. My neighbor down the street had enough to feed the free world; so jealous. At any rate, I can give you the lowdown on formula thanks to my neighbor who works for Similac.

Aud

Rob said...

Thank you everyone for your very generous offers to help. We are so grateful for great friends (and cousins!).

Rob and Linda.