Funny getting a prescription for a new head of hair. Dr. K wrote Linda a prescription today for red hair (jokingly, he wrote red on the prescription at first). Luckily for us, Linda is double covered with insurance right now. One of the insurances covers the "reasonable cost" of a wig (called a cranial prosthesis --> seriously!) with a prescription. So, me being the "frugal" (no comments from my friends please) guy I am, I thought we oughtta take advantage of that bennie! So, thanks health insurance, for Linda's new wig she will get sometime soon.
Speaking of hair, Linda got hers cut today. It's shorter now and looks great. We think she's about 7-9 days from hairloss or so. But, it could go earlier so now we're ready for a "bald is beautiful" bumper sticker. She had it cut by a woman who is a cancer survivor and gives free pedicures or manicures to people going through cancer treatment. Very nice of her! There are some wonderful people all around that have been touched by cancer in one way or another.
Linda has been doing well. She had some side-effects that carried into our Sunriver vacation but overall is doing great. She feels better each day and went for an hour walk today! We're told we are at a point where she needs to be extra careful about colds/viruses right now. So, please excuse our paranoia and pushing sanitizer (thanks for the tip on the sanitizer, Audrey!).
We've been reading some good books. I am reading one recommended by my cousin Sue's (who successfully navigated breast cancer recently) husband called Breast Cancer Husband by Marc Silver. It's great for us guys and helps us help our wives (and ourselves) through this journey. I'm also reading Livestrong, one of Lance's books. It's a quick read with some amazing stories. Linda received a book today from my Great Aunt and Uncle called "Uplift" that she's started reading. Wonderful insights from Breast Cancer Survivors. We also got the Susan Love book from Linda's step-sister which is packed full of information and a great reference.
I'm going to get Linda to pose for a picture sometime soon with her new haircut - her tummy is also sticking out nicely now. Cricket has been kicking (I felt her again last night). I picture her in her safe little home watching some of the cancer drugs float on the outside of her bubble world and zap Mommy's cancer away.
Rob.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hi Linda and Family... Well NOW we are talking about a subject I know alot about.... BALDNESS....BALD IS BEAUTIFUL.. AND ON YOU MORE THEN ME :) Just remember on those days you are going wild without a wig.. SUNSCREEN !!! We are thinking of you and your family and you are always in our prayers. Keep on smiling. We love you. Joe and Jean Larkin
Hey miz cuz Linda. This is Shannon and I just finished reading the blogs from you and your wonderful husband and learning more about all that is going on in your so sedate and boring lives. (grin)
I was moving some stuff on my computer desk and voila, there was this photo of you, Tracy, Bumpa and me at the Oregon State Fair.
Great memories! On the back of the photo Grammy wrote Aug. 73. Thanks Grammy!
So here's the deal, you my friend I've always had memories of great engergy, great spirit, great love and cookiness. You've got a great arsenal to rely on and of course all of your family and friends to pack in that arsenal as well.
Go kick some cancer butt, Cricket will have some great role models to follow and hey, with some cool wigs, some great styles too!
Perhaps you should name her Beckam.
Sounds like she'd make a great soccer player.
Love you much
Prayers are sent your way every night.
Love Shannon
PS. You could also do some cool Henna art on the noggin as well.
This just in....
Just read that black henna dye is not recommended. A black ink or such has been added to the natural henna to make it last longer and apparently can cause skin reactions. No fun!
The natural henna is OK. More on-line.
Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
Shannon
That's too bad about the Henna. I was thinking temporary tattoos of nude dancing ladies, a Celtic cross, maybe "Hell's Angels"...the sky is the limit! Glad to hear Linda got shorn--my friend Florence did that too, and it was much easier to manage upon fall-out. We want pictures--post soon, Rob! We want to see the Cricket bump! Linda, I bet you're adorable.
Much Love,
Audrey
Linda
I had just found out about Cricket and then a couple of weeks later this. Know that you are always in out thoughts.
I know you will do great with your sence of humor to help you out.
Let the guys in your life take care of you.
Sharon
It's so good to read how things are going with you three; I'm so glad to read that Linda is walking and feeling better. I'm thinking of you all the time. It's so fun to feel the baby kick; John felt ours kick this week to.
Post a Comment