DONE!!!
After my last post about Mr. Kimo Linda said my blogs were easier to follow when I haven't had a couple beers. So, here I type drenched in sobriety for today's update. :)
Our dear friend Mr. Kimo has left us, after a job well done - Linda has completed her last round of chemotherapy! This round has gone well so far and she is very excited to be done. We will miss our wonderful support group at the infusion center, as they have become dear friends to us and such a positive piece of this whole experience. Here is a picture of Linda and her main infusion nurse after she finished her last chemo. It was a joyous but teary event since now we won't see our friends every other Thursday but we promised to stop by with the baby.
We met with the surgical oncologist Wednesday. We have decided on a lumpectomy. They are also proposing a sentinel lymph node test. This tests her node in the middle of surgery by tracing the path of some dye in her system. If it is still positive (as was the original biopsy), they would normally take 10-20 additional lymph nodes in surgery. However, the chemo could have cleared that node (it does in ~30% of cases like this but we won't know until they test it in the middle of surgery) in which case taking more nodes could be overkill and lead to other side-effects. Linda's surgeon is feeling great about Linda's progress from the chemo!
On Thursday Linda had chemo and we also met with the medical oncologist. Since Linda is triple negative (an indication of her type of cancer: estrogen/progesterone/HER2 tests were all negative - which is good and bad) she won't have additional chemo (some people get MORE drugs such as Herceptin or Tamoxifen after they are done with their initial rounds of chemo). So, the good news is she is done with chemo! The medical oncologist is also feeling positive about Linda's results so far - her response to the chemo has been great - thank you to everyone for your prayers and positive thoughts - they continue to help!
Surgery may be ~December 11th if all goes as planned. Radiation will follow that - likely in January.
I've got to run but a short note on Ava - she is doing well (5.5 pounds) and continuing to improve - I'll post an update on her another time!
Rob.
3 comments:
Linda,
Ya hoo no more kimo! I was notified by Susan S about you and the latest events in your life last Sun. This blog has brought smiles and tears to my eyes as I've read every word that your wonderful husband has so creatively written. I wanted to meet w/you last Wed when the girls from Mac were carpooling down to see you. I was feeling a bit ill that day w/yucky congestion from a cold and thought it best to not pass any little germ your way. Your story has touched my heart deeply and I think about you and your family every day. I am praying for you and your beautiful new baby girl Ava. I am visualizing you both in a soft white light of love that will help renew your mind, body and spirit.
I flash back to our High School days and think about you and I sitting in the front seats of the activity bus that took us to the games, singing James Taylor songs to the top of our lungs. "When ever I see your smiling face." It warms my heart and brings a new appreciation of days gone by. Thank you for making all the wonderful memories of our youth so enjoyable to look back at and smile.
I love ya Linda Little!
Continue to stay strong!
Love and blessings from your High School buddy,
Tina
HOORAY for no more chemo!! YEAH! Still cheering for you all over here in Sri Lanka! xoxo Renee & Rick
What fabulos news, thank GOD!!!!
Leenda I am just sooooo thrilled, how amazing that Mr Kimo has come and gone. What a hard worker he was, too.
And wee wee little one will be coming home soon, joy joy JOY! What a blessing it will be for everyone to be snuggled up together at home!
Love Youse Guys,
Wendi & da boys
Post a Comment