Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Ava's Crib, Latte withdrawal time, prep for Chemo #7

The big news since the last post is Ava graduated to a Big Girl Crib over the weekend! She is now over 4lbs 5 ounces. She has been keeping her body temperature up well. It is nice to see her outside her little Isolette although I almost got a bit teary seeing her graduate from the Isolette to the Crib. I wonder how I'll feel when she goes off to kindergarten....


Updated growth chart:


Ava's breathing has really improved over the past couple weeks. She is now on a nasal cannula only (no nasal prongs, just an open half-tube under her nose) and only on .3 for airflow. She is only needing more oxygen than "room air" occasionally during feedings. Speaking of feedings, she is taking about half of her feedings by bottle once or twice per shift. Right now, they aren't pushing her to bottle feed since it is still a bit early for that, but she is a social drinker - only bottle feeding when she feels like it.

Caffeine withdrawal: The doctors have decided it's time to pull Ava off her daily caffeine dose (her morning Latte). It will take about a week for this to completely vacate her system and she may have some more apneas as the stimulation effect wears off. But, it's good that she will be off one more medication. We're hopeful the transition will be smooth.


Howard Hughes had it right: Linda and I find ourselves being quite obsessive/compulsive about sanitation with all the colds going around right now. Linda or Ava getting a cold or flu would be a bad setback and I don't want to be quarantined away from them if I get something. So, we handwash religiously, bought some hospital grade Avagard D for hand sanitizer, and find ourselves opening public doors with our shirts or paper towels. It's much better than the alternative though!

Chemo #7 on Thursday: Linda has her next to last chemo appointment on Thursday. It is another round of Taxol. So far, the effects of the Taxol haven't been too bad - mostly muscle and nerve pain and more nosebleeds, but, when compared with how well the AC chemo went, it is slightly worse - possibly due to the anemia as well. However, Linda is feeling great this week and is ready for her next to last chemo!

Rob.

6 comments:

The Gale Family said...

AAwwwww I'm so overcome with cuteness at the photo of Mama & Baby, where little Ava is looking up at Mama.... soooo sweeeet !! Wow she's "off the charts" with growth, how cool, that is such an amazing visual of how far you've come, baby!!! Super Good Strong Vibes sent your way for the Taxol, sweetbuns, you are strong, you are resilient, you are Woman hear you Roar!! And OH YES we are so on board with keeping your family HEALTHY and GERM-FREE! One reason you haven't seen my sorry arrse because I feel paranoid about my little germ-factories... Handwashing, Hand-Sanitizer, and Lysol OH MY!

Love you lots and lots and lots...... ....... ....... ......

Unknown said...

Looks like all are doing well. Your strength is very inspiring. I love seeing the photos of all of you! Be sure to print all the pages from your site. Someday Ava will love reading it.

Audrey said...

Hurray! Ava girlfriend is kicking some NICU butt! You go girl. And Linda, you look mahvelous, darling. So glad you are all doing well. And yes, be germaphobes! Tell people with young kids to stay away! We are just way too risky of a population set to be visiting with y'all right now. But we send much love electronically.

Best,

Audrey

Dreamer said...

It is nice to read your blog and all the update. I am so happy for all of you doing well! Congratulations Ava!

Deetsgirl said...

I am so amazed at how well Ava is doing in the NICU. She is on her way home that is for sure. Congrats!!!!

Rob said...

Thanks! We're hopeful that if she continues to do well we'll have her home by Thanksgiving!

Rob.