"Cricket" has been quite popular here and one of the night nurses made her a nice name banner with her hand prints on it. It says "C R I C K E T" on it. The main NICU monitor says Cricket Blair on it. We have had many people tell us they love the name Cricket for her! How funny, that this silly nickname I gave my daughter when I saw her kicking her legs on an ultrasound, before I even knew it was a "she" would become her nickname.
The birth certificate lady has been by the room a couple times, asking us to fill out the paperwork with Cricket's name. We weren't ready for the name yet - we had ten possibilities on the board still! The certificate lady did say we could leave it blank for now, and have up to six months to give a name. But, we think she deserves her name now. We told the birth certificate lady to come back on Thursday for the unveiling of her name. So, tomorrow we will spring the news to everyone what our little girl is to be called!
"Cricket" is doing better since Day 1. Late on Day 1 she moved off the full respirator (intubation down her throat) to a CPAP machine (like people get to prevent sleep apnea). She has some heavy tubing coming from her nose now. If she continues to improve, she will get nose prongs (less obtrusive) sometime. Although she is improving she does still have respiratory issues, jaundice, and some other stuff "normal" for a 27 week premature baby. But, we are very encouraged and thankful for her progress so far.
The cool thing about extubating her (no more oxygen down the windpipe) is she can CRY! So, we heard our daughter crying for the first time last night. It is beautiful to our ears and so lovely to hear. A few other milestones: She got an ounce of (donated) breast milk, she only has to have the blood test for "gas" (blood oxygenation) once per day (it's a heel prick and she was getting them every few hours), and she moved into a fancy new "box" (now a fully enclosed incubator). Two more notables: 1) She POOPED! (okay, it was like a small ball of tar but I guess that's good news) and 2) She got to be held by her mommy! Linda was able to "Kangaroo" Cricket for awhile - skin to skin contact. She nuzzled right in, quieted down, and put her little hands on mommy's chest. Okay, I can admit it was a teary moment for all.
Linda is doing well. She had to have a tougher c-section than normal, since our little princess (Cricket) got stuck on a fibroid coming out and required some "Plan B" cuts in the process. Cricket got some bruising from the extra force and took longer to get going after delivery and Mom got some extra cuts she hadn't planned for. So, Linda is having some normal pain but has walked a bit today. Her counts (from chemo) are fine so far. Obviously, we won't have chemo tomorrow as originally scheduled. We are working on the "new" plan but it may be a one week delay.
The nurses tell us that preemies often take some steps forward, then a couple back. So, we shouldn't have inflated expectations for Little Cricket at this point. Our little girl has already made it perfectly clear who is running the show! She will decide when she's ready for the next steps. But, we are enjoying sharing our love and strength and support with her as she makes this journey. We certainly have been appreciating all of this from our friends and family as well.
Rob.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
It sounds like things are progressing so nicely for your little one and we couldn't be happier to hear it. I am so happy to hear that she only needed to have the vent for a day! If they are using the bubble CPAP that they use at St. Vincent's I know it looks kinda scary, but it is so much better for her brain, eyes, and lungs than the vent! Pretty much every baby (preemie or full term) has jaundice these days, so hang in there and that "batman" mask will soon be a thing of the past. I teared up thinking of Linda doing Kangaroo Care with "Cricket" for the first time. What a special moment for all of you!! Did you ever think you'd be so excited to hear your baby cry or see her poop? It takes on a very special meaning with these little ones. Please let us know if you need anything including a listening ear from someone who's been there with our little one. You guys are amazing and have a strength in you that is unmatched. Hold on to that strength and you'll be able to get through anything! (candbroberts@verizon.net)
Okay, I know I'm pregnant and hormonal and all, but I'm getting choked up reading this! I'm so, so glad you've gotten to hold her! I was telling Kevin last night that I wondered how long it would be until you got to do that, and to hear her cry. To be able to do both so soon is wonderful. Go Cricket, go! May you all soon be able to enjoy 6 am wake-up calls from her crawling into your bed, like we did from Elijah this morning. Heal well, Linda!
Sending you nonstop good thoughts,
Audrey
Rob,
I must say that your last entry was so touching to read. I can sense the pride already for Daddy's little girl. Hopes and prayers and positive vibes to all of you. And no doubt that Mommy and Cricket are fighters and will prevail.
Hugs and kisses to all,
Daisy
Hi Linda and Rob,
We are so glad that your baby is doing well. I wish that I still was breastfeeding, so I could help you out, but I am all dried up!
Todd and I live in Eugene, so please let us know if there is anything that we can do for you.
k.olney@comcast.net
We wish you and your family all the best!
Kaylynn & Todd Olney
oh thanks Rob for your latest update, we sure appreciate hearing how your fam is doing. And yeah, I just about bawled at the 'kangaroo' description, soooo precious.....
I like the "Go Cricket, Go!" comment, it makes me think of Lynn belting out "Ride Sally, Ride!"
Each moment is an adventure!
Love & (gentle) hugs from all the Gales!!!
oh...WEndi...you so funny! i'm already seeing Sophie teaching Cricket all about bugs in the yard(among other things that we probably don't WANT Sophie to teach her)..i'm guessing she will be very good at singing and rubbing her legs together and the same time :)
Mazel Tov to you both! Sounds like little Cricket is doing just fine. I think "Cricket" is a fabulous name. I think there was a character on a soap opera named Cricket (Young and the Restless?). Can't wait to see some pictures of mommy and baby together.
Kisses,
Kelly Barker
Oh my gosh, I didn't check in for a couple of days and here you guys go having a baby already! Wow! So terribly exciting and so touching. Rob you do such a great job sharing both of your experiences, really moving.
Teary eyed, why yes I am.
Cuz Shannon
Hi, you have no idea who I am but I heard about your story through my mother in law who is friends with Kitty Thompson, Heidi's mom. I wanted to write and tell you to keep the hope. I too had a preemie 27w 5d. Her name is Alexis and she is now 6 1/2 and is perfect. Reading your blog brought tears to my eyes as I will never forget the time that we spent with Lexi in the hospital. I am thinking of you all and sending all great, healthy thoughts. Hang in there, it gets easier. I am willing to listen if you're willing to talk. It helps to have people who understand what you are going through. From my family to yours may you find the strength to get through each day with the love that you have for eachother and your beautiful daughter.
Stephanie Crow
Longmont, CO
Rob and Linda,
Ok, so I am choked up either from the dust in the air or...
I can't wait to hear your news tomorrow on her name. I am thankful that you are now preparing yourself (Rob) for diaper changes, that is outstanding.
If you need anything, you know we are close by.
Go Linda, go!
Todd
Post a Comment