Tuesday, September 9, 2008

She's Here!!!

Well, our little Cricket has landed!

Not one day after I was singing her accolades of how she made the 6 month mark, she decided that she wanted to come out and see the world.

I'll give the short version now and update it later with more detail as I'm writing this from Riverbend in Eugene.

Linda's water broke about 6pm Monday and so we made some quick doctor calls, left dinner on the stove, and drove to the Corvallis hospital. Linda started having contractions there. Once they stabilized Linda somewhat, and gave her some steroids as a last minute help for Cricket's still immature lungs, Linda got transported in the EMT Ambulance to Eugene with full lights, high speed, and running red lights, etc. I of course, observed all laws to get there myself, with Brian (Linda's son) as co-pilot.

--> I'll update the Eugene part of the journey later!!!

Cricket was delivered emergency c-section at 3:27am. She is 27 weeks along (born on 9/9/08) which is a tough time for infants but Eugene has a top notch Neonatal ICU and Cricket is already one of the most popular girls in her block. She is on oxygen but otherwise doing well (for a 27 week old baby)! She was 2 lbs, 2.5 ounces and 14 inches long. I guess that's pretty good for a 27 week old. Everyone tells us the premature girls do better than the boys. It is interesting!

Mom is recovering from the c-section well and little Cricket is under 24 hour supervision. She has wires and tubes all over her to help her along. Her lung development has been improving already and we are praying that will continue!

I'm going on 36+ hours without sleep but feeling great and so happy we could bring our little girl safely into the world. I have been visiting her a couple times per shift so far and she wraps her little hand around my finger. She will be in the NICU for nearly 2 months they say. The nurses and staff here are outstanding and we are again so blessed to have such great support from everyone!

More later,

Rob.

13 comments:

Emilie said...

Wow! I have your family in my prayers.

JoeandJean said...

Congratulations on the arrival of Miss Cricket! We look forward to welcoming her (and congratulating Mom & Dad) in person one day soon. Many, many prayers are sent your way.

Joe and Jean Larkin

The Gale Family said...

Congratulations on li'l Cricket's birth!!! Can't wait to see some pics! Aaawwwww..... Thanks for the happy announcement -- I can just picture her teensy hand wrapping around daddy's finger!

Linda I'm sorry you have a boo-boo on your tummy, suuuper gentle hugs going your way!

Love you all!!!!

Unknown said...

Rob,

Please, please, please give Linda a big hug from me! The three of you have been in my thoughts and prayers and I've followed your blog with such awe at your love, courage and faith in each other.

Looking forward to the unveiling of "the name" and photos of the baby. Wow! Your wife and daughter are such affirmations of LIFE.

I can tell already "Cricket" is spunky like her mom. And you are an incredible husband and fine man.

Stephanie Baker
sbaker@newsregister.com

Bill said...

Congratulations on Cricket's arrival!!! We are so happy for you all. You are all in our thoughts and prayers as Cricket continues her development and growth of her lungs. We know how scary the NICU can be, so please, please let us know if you need anything! If there is one piece of advice I can give, it's keep a journal. There are so many things that happen so quickly in these little one's lives. Keeping a daily journal for Mason helped me to remember all of his milestones and my thoughts and feelings. I plan to share it with him someday to help him understand the fight he has in him and the journey he took. Congrats on making it to the 27 week milestone (we know those numbers, too!). Christi, Bill, and Mason

Bill said...

I wrote to Stephanie, but also wanted to mention here, I have frozen milk ready for Cricket. I can drive down today if you need it. Please let me know if you need it now or later!

Rob said...

Thank you for everyone's thoughts and prayers! Little Cricket has been doing well!

Christi, Bill, and Mason: thank you so much for your offer of milk!!! Right now the NICU offers free Breast Milk Bank milk (fully screened and pasteurized) while we're here (donated by Children's Miracle Network). We are told it is much better for the preemies. After we leave the NICU we would love to take you up on your offer of milk. Thank you for thinking of us and we appreciate the advice having been through this yourselves!

Rob.

Audrey said...

A Virgo girl! Congrats! Virgo girls rock--okay, as one myself, I'm a bit biased. I can't wait to meet this child. And is Cricket the official name? If not, I don't think any of us will ever stop calling her that! Sweet little two-pound baby girl. Bless her heart. And Linda, my dear, bless you as well. Take advantage of what I'm sure is an excellent nursing staff. Rob says Cricket is already a favorite in her ward, and I have no doubt that you will become a favorite on yours. :)
Sending you three TONS of good thoughts,
Audrey

Unknown said...

Linda & Rob,
CONGRATS from the Robertsons via Sri Lanka! YES, "Crickets" arrival news travelled fast and FAR! 1/2 way around the world! We are thinking of you all and saying many prayers for continued healing, strength and growing successes! All our love,
Renee, Rick, Rylee & Raegan xoxo

Jim said...

congratulations!

Unknown said...

Dear Linda and family!
Congratulations! I hope you got my email to your work address- still active? Let me know. I've been talking to Uncle John and Mom and Suz and everyone keeps me updated. We're all so excited that Cricket seems well and that you are recovering nicely. We send out love!!!! Hope to see you all in the spring when we have our wedding party. Can't wait to see you all again. The boys must be all grown up by now. Love to everyone,
Becky

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG!! I can't believe it! Welcome little Cricket! I am so happy all went well and she is safely improving. I wasn't expecting this when I checked in this morning at all!

Anonymous said...

OMG OMG OMG!! I can't believe it! Welcome little Cricket! I am so happy all went well and she is safely improving. I wasn't expecting this when I checked in this morning at all!