Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's CRICKET!!!



Due to popular demand, I'm sharing a couple photos of our little princess, Ava (aka Cricket).

Ava had a pretty good day today. She went from the full CPAP to the "nasal cannula" (you'll see in the pix, she goes from the elephant trunk apparatus to a small tube across her nose). You can actually see her face! She also finished her sunbathing (UV) to reduce jaundice for now (no more batman mask on her eyes), and feeding went slightly up (still on IVs for most her nutrition). Yesterday she got a PICC (IV mainline into a major artery - holds up well instead of needing repeated IV pokes into the arm) - the PICC is a tricky procedure - they didn't get it in a few days ago when they tried but got it this time. Yea! With all these small steps, they always remind us that most babies move backward again at times. She is still having some Apneas/Bradys but not as bad today - these are likely to go on for a long time still. However, we celebrate these positive steps for today!

Okay, onto the pictures. Here she is with her Papa for some "Kangaroo" time. She has her CPAP on in this one so it's hard to see her face but you can see her size (click on the photo to enlarge).



Here she is with Kangaroo time with Mommy (Ava is behind the blanket). You can almost see (other than the hat!) that Linda is just about hairless now but just as beautiful as always. Since babies Ava's age can't regulate their own temperature, we need to be very vigilant to keep her warm. Daddy's bony chest got her a little too much off-temp the other day so we're more on top of it now.



And finally.... here is our little sweetheart. She does have more hair than Mommy!


The preemie diaper is a bit big on her:





They discharged us from the hospital today which was tough since we're not a 5 minute walk from our little girl right now. We're back in Corvallis for the evening, and then back to Eugene in the morning. We already called the nurses and checked on Ava and will call again soon and probably again early in the morning. Good night Little Princess, we will see you tomorrow.

Rob.

15 comments:

Bill said...

We are so HAPPY for you guys!!! The best day in the NICU for us (other than discharge day, of course) was when we finally got to see all of Mason's face when he switched from the CPAP to the nasal cannula. Your daughter has a lot of fight in her and is doing so well right now! Enjoy holding her without worrying about those "elephant" tubes! What a little angel!

The Gale Family said...

Thanks for the pics!

My heart aches with you guys 'cuz I know you'd like to stay down there, but I'm grateful she's tucked safely in that fabulous hospital. That is very reassuring, I believe she is well taken care of and content.

So now we will continue to focus our positive energy south ("Ava Ava, take good care! Grow into that underwear!") but also take care of yourselves & get some Rest!! Recharge those batteries!

Love You!!

Tonya said...

What a thrill to get to see Ava! The picutres are wonderful and she looks just beautiful. Mom & Dad are looking great too. Rob, the bags from your eyes are gone after seeing you on day one in the hosptial! I'm sure you are sharing lots of stories with Ava about her big brothers, family and friends that are all supporting her and sending her all of our love!!!

Audrey said...

She's beautiful! How wonderful to make so many strides in such a short while. I know, I know, they keep telling you about the two steps forward/two steps back thing, but dang it if that little girl isn't kicking some NICU butt. And Linda, my dear, you look lovely. Now all of you go get some sleep. :)
Audrey

Cammie said...

Linda it never seems fair to me how beauteous you look in pictures!! Hope you are healing fast Peanut.. Let me know when you are ready for some cuddles. I’m on call 24/7 for you guys!!

Rob you keep taking care of those wonderful women. And don’t worry if you are too skinny to keep Ava at just the right temp, I’m sure she still loved pulling out your chest hairs, all little girls do :)

And just look at my precious Ava.. Just keep on growing little girl! In a few years I’ll be tossing you in the air like your brother Austin and I’m sure you’ll be laughing just as loud!!

Unknown said...

Rob and Linda, She is absolutely beautiful!! Sending love and blessings your way. We can't wait to meet Ava (a.k.a. Cricket). Please take tender care of yourselves. You are both so brave and courageous. Ava is a very lucky little girl to have you two as parents.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful females you have in your family! I'm SO happy that all is going well, although I can imagine how hard it is to be further away from lovely Ava right now. LInda you are looking just beautiful. Thinking of you all.

Shinejil said...

That's one cute baby, a compliment I don't make lightly.

I hope she thrives!

nancy said...

What a beautiful little girl you have. And I love her nickname! :)

All the well wishes to your little Cricket.

Chris said...

Congratulations on your little blessing. What a miracle baby sweet Ava is!

maresi said...

praying for the best for all of you!!! that is one sweet little girl!

Joann said...

Ava is absolutely beautiful. Linda you are jewel, May blessing continue to surround you and yours, Joann

Pam B said...

I have two bottles of colostrum/early breast milk in my freezer for you.

Unknown said...

Dear Linda and Rob,
Great pictures of you all! You look great! Ava looks great! Thanks for sharing so much with everyone. Love to all of you!
Becky and family in Boise

Tayo said...

Hi Rob and Linda,
It is great to hear about the wonderful progress being made by Linda and Ava. Both of them are dogged fighters! My family and I are praying for you, and we know that everything will be alright.

Tayo