Linda finished her surgery today like the champion she is. However, it was a long day! We started at 6am, checked in, ran through some imaging tests to find the Sentinel Node and remaining breast tumor mass. After that, she had surgery where they checked the Sentinel Node (actually a few nodes showed as the possible Sentinel Node so they checked these) in surgery and one was still positive for cancer (as was the case before the chemo). Although we knew the statistics said this was the most likely scenario, we were hopeful after the great response to chemo that Linda had that the Sentinel Node would be negative. The upside is that Linda still had an excellent response from the chemo in how much it reduced the tumor and node sizes from the initial diagnosis. Had we had surgery at that time (at initial diagnosis), they would have taken the additional nodes anyway. The good response to chemo that Linda had is a very positive sign, even though the node status being negative would have been icing on the cake.
So, in addition to the lumpectomy and Sentinel Node removal/checks, the surgeon had to take a mass of tissue from Linda's armpit area with additional lymph nodes. They will check all these masses with more in-depth pathology over the next days to see how many additional nodes may be positive. The surgery thus took longer than initially hoped and the recovery will be tougher. Linda stayed the night in the hospital since her pain was high and she also got a bit sick from the anesthesia when she woke up. Ava, Brian, and I went back to visit her later after I came home and she was feeling much better at ~8pm than she was when I left at ~6pm. We were able to show off the baby to one of the nurses who transported Linda to Eugene the night she went there to deliver Ava!
Ava stayed the day with two of our wonderful NICU nurses, Beth and Sheila who are also both breast cancer survivors. They said Ava was great for them all day and they had fun seeing her again. It was so nice for me to be able to be there for the surgery while trusted souls (that could also manage any unique issues she might have) took care of Ava so a huge thanks to Beth and Sheila for driving from Eugene at a crazy morning hour and spending over 13 hours with Ava!!!
Linda should be home sometime tomorrow - recovery will take about 4-6 weeks they said. We're now hoping the pathology reports will come back with "clear margins" (no cancer in the outside edges of the breast tumor mass that was removed) and minimal involvement in the remaining lymph nodes that the surgeon removed.
Linda is happy to have the surgery behind her and is looking forward to healing over the coming weeks so she can lift Ava with her left arm again soon!
Rob.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Though the news wasn't great with the Sentinal Node, glad to hear the surgery is behind all of you. I will be praying that there was minimal node involvement and that the margins were clear!
Blair family,
We are glad to hear that this day is now behind you, you've been on our mind all week. We'll be saying our prayers that the next lab reports are all good news.
Hopefully you are getting some rest too when you can. Thanks Rob for being diligent on your updates, I noticed it was at 2am? You probably are catching all the latest episodes of Conan O'Brien...
The Grigsby's
Thanks Rob for the update. We just keep sending positive thoughts to y'all & hope Linda's back snug at home soon (sounds like today). Hospitals are very useful & helpful places but we all know what little Dorothy said about home... there's no place like it.
I'm getting up to date on the lingo & am rooting for Clear Margins! (and I'm not talking about formatting a Word document) but owee my body hurts for ya, Linda dear. Hope your booboos feel better soon. What a blessing that Ava was hanging out with her NICU nurses yesterday, I know they were tickled to spend the day with the happy healthy girl & probably barely recognized her because she's so big!! She was spreading Joy and didn't even know it :)
I know there's still lots going on so take super good care of yourselves. We love you guys! Rob we're gonna have to equip you with a Cape, you are Superman!
I hope Linda is now home and snuggled up on the couch with Ava. Yesterday was a long day for your family and so glad it's behind you. My prayers continue for all of you. Give Linda and Ava a hug!
Woohoo! Great news that everything went as well as it did! Give Linda and daughter our best - we want to see you guys, but also want to give plenty of space for recovery. I've been coaching Powell on pick-up lines, so watch out Ava! :-)
DeKams
Linda and Rob,
Thanks for all your updates!
Good news on the surgery and we
wish you a speedy recovery!
Such cute pictures of little
Ava and you all. Hang in there
and we will keep up the prayers
Cousin Suz
Hello dear Linda - so so happy things have gone so well for you and your family. PRAYER WORKS!!
AND thanks Rob for taking off the log-in requirement for leaving a message - I have NO IDEA what my log-in was and it wouldn't let me re-register.
Get some rest - take good care of yourselves - big big hugs for little Ava and thanks so so much for your blogs.........typically, I can't wait to log in and see what's going on. It's going to be a wonderful holiday for all of you!!
With much love....
Carol Woodward
Rob and Linda--
I have been following along anxiously as you have bravely and beautifully gone through through all of these challenges.
I can only say how happy I am for your and your family. (How cute is that little AVA, can;t wait to meet her) I know that there was not perfect news but it is still great to be able to see one more thing done and accomplished. Another step on the ladder upward.
ALl y thoughts and prayers have been with you during your journey. Now for the healthy times together. My love and prayers,
Your cousin,
Lisa
Sheila is one of our many angels and I am so glad that she has been able to help you out!!! Love Amber
Post a Comment