Sunday, December 14, 2008

Recovery!

Things have gone well since the surgery. Linda was discharged the day after surgery and was already feeding Ava soon thereafter - some Vitamin A(va) seemed to do them both good. Linda is down on her pain medications and even went for a short walk today. We have a follow-up appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday where they will remove the drainage tube/bulb they put into the lymph node removal site (right below the armpit) and where we'll talk about the results from the pathology on the nodes and tumor site.

Ava is doing well. She was 7 pounds, 11 ounces last week, so is likely ~8 pounds now! She is strong in mind and body and continues to show us how she makes it through the challenges thrown at her. The home health nurse was impressed last week how she can move her head around (no comments on how she got this because her mom's name is "Linda Blair" - same as the movie star - please) and also lift her legs at the same time.

Hair?! It's true - Linda's scalp is getting some hair! It's earlier than we thought and although fairly sparse now it's a good indication of recovery from the chemo. I think she may have some hair for Christmas! That with snow on the ground this morning are both nice surprises for us.

I had a nice laugh this weekend when we got a "denied" from the insurance company for Ava's $220K hospital stay (that plus the doctor's bills there should push us over $300K). It is just a mistake that I'll get cleared up but we continue to appreciate how fortunate we are to have double insurance coverage on Linda and Ava during these times. How do people without insurance manage a situation like this? I can't imagine that stress on top of everything else. Even with double coverage we will have a good chunk of out-of-pocket costs. It's sad how one "unlucky event" with a little bad timing (time without insurance) could really wreck someone's financial future.

Closing with some pictures. This is a beautiful photo that our friend Barbara S took of Linda and Ava!




Here is a photo of Ava's Crib:




And finally, a photo of Ava and brother Brian:




Rob.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rob & Linda, I'm so glad you changed the posting thing! I couldn't figure out how to leave comments, so gave up and just read alot! You guys are still in our prayers, and I've really enjoyed watching Ava grow up from afar. I can't wait to meet her. Love and hugs to you all. Love, Jenny (& Paul)

Unknown said...

awwwwww....look at mommma & bubba w/ baby sweet pea..precious widdle angel..straight down from Heaven!
That is so funny, because we ran into Barbara at Petco last wkend, she was taking the Pet Pics w/ Santa too! I'm just glad she didn't make Linda/Ava come and sit on Santa's lap w/ a big ol' drooling Great Dane or something! ha!
You guys are just beautiful..that's definitely one for the scrapbook. I can't wait for Sophie to come and give Linda some cute little pig tails with all that new hair:)

Unknown said...

Wow, you guys! You're doing such a great job! I might be a 6 year survivor, but I'm learning from you two everyday! Love the pictures and the Blog...you're so special to include all of us in your progress and program. Love and prayers to you every day!